News more »
In this section
Before using this information, please read:
To read the specific laws in the WA State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act, click on the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) links throughout the Tenant Services website.
Tenants Union Tenant Counselors are not attorneys, and this information should not be considered legal advice. Please read our full Tenant Union Disclaimer.
- What is the landlord required to repair?
- What repairs can my landlord hold me responsible for?
- How much can my landlord charge to fix items that I damage in the unit?
- Can I withhold rent to force the landlord to make repairs?
- My landlord began to make a repair within the legal timeframe, but they have still not fixed the problem after a considerable amount of time. Can I still break my lease even though they started repairs?
- I can’t live in my unit because a pipe burst causing a flood. Is my landlord required to put me up in a motel or move me to another unit?
- My apartment flooded due to a faulty plumbing and all my belongings were damaged. Is the landlord responsible to pay for the cost?
- I can’t live in my unit because the mold is impacting my health. Can I legally break my lease because of this?
- What if I follow the repairs procedure and the landlord still isn’t fixing my unit?
- Can I ask the landlord to put in better carpeting or refurbish the countertops?
- Are there legal standards for how often a landlord has to replace the carpet or repaint the walls?
- My landlord says that they don’t have to make repairs in my unit because my rent is so cheap. Is this legal?
- I signed a lease stating that I have to make all the repairs in my unit, and that I have to accept the unit “as is.” Can my landlord hold me to this?
- My toilet clogs regularly. We had to call a plumber out, and my landlord is charging me the cost of the repair, saying that I use too much toilet paper. Is this legal?
- I injured myself because the landlord didn’t make repairs on my unit. Can I hold my landlord liable for the costs of my medical bills?