News more »
In this section
Before using this information, please read:
To read the specific laws in the WA State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act, click on the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) links throughout the Tenant Services website.
Tenants Union Tenant Counselors are not attorneys, and this information should not be considered legal advice. Please read our full Tenant Union Disclaimer.
- How long does the landlord have to return my deposit?
- If my landlord didn’t get a statement to me in 21 days, can I still be charged for damages?
- Can the landlord require me to have the carpets professionally cleaned before I move out? Can the landlord legally charge me for carpet cleaning or repainting the walls when I move out?
- What kinds of deposits can the landlord collect from me when I move in?
- What’s the difference between a security deposit and a damage deposit?
- If I moved out without giving proper notice, can the landlord both keep my entire deposit and charge me for the following month’s rent?
- What if my landlord didn’t give me a written rental agreement, or didn’t do a move-in checklist with me?
- What if my landlord both did not provide me with a move in checklist upon move in, and did not provide me with a written statement regarding the use of my deposit within the 21-day timeline?
- What kinds of fees can the landlord charge me?
- Can a deposit be nonrefundable?
- Does my landlord have to show me receipts for damage repairs deducted from my deposit or charged to me?
- What is “normal wear and tear”?
- If the landlord gave me a written lease, a complete move-in checklist, and a specific written statement within 21 days, does this prevent me from requesting my deposit back or disputing the charges?
- What if my landlord is charging me money above and beyond my deposit amount?
- My landlord sent me a check returning only a portion of my deposit. Should I cash it if I believe that I am still owed more of the deposit back?
- What is the landlord supposed to do with my deposit money during my tenancy?
- Is there a requirement that the landlord pay me the interest accrued on my deposit money?
- What happens to my deposit money if the property is sold to a new landlord?
- What happens to my deposit if my rental unit is being foreclosed on?
- Can I ask my landlord to use my deposit to pay for rent if I get behind?
- When I moved in, I paid last month’s rent, but my rent was raised over time. Now I’m about to vacate the unit, and the landlord is asking me to pay the difference between the two. Is that legal?
- Am I entitled to get my deposit back if I break my lease?