News more »
Support the Tenants Union!
Washington State tenants have won important legal protections, but these rights don't go far enough. Members help build the movement to protect and expand tenants rights and make the promise of safe, healthy, affordable housing a reality.
Tenants speak out to win safe housing and accountability for landlords in Seattle
- KING 5 News: Seattle considering random inspections for rental properties
- KOMO News Story: Proposed plan aims to strengthen renters’ protection in Seattle
- Publicola Article: Licata Proposes Universal Rental-Housing Inspection
- The Stranger Article: High Costs of Low Rent: Group Tries to Hold Slumlords Accountable
- Councilmember Nick Licata’s Blog Urban Politics: Milestones
The Tenants Union is working to win healthy homes for renters and basic licensing requirements for landlords in Seattle. Councilmember Nick Licata is taking a stand for renters with a proposal for proactive inspections that ensure all units in the City are up to basic health and safety standards. Licata listened closely to Tenants Union members and organizers while crafting the proposal. TU tenant leaders Flora Ybarra, Corey Snelson, Melissa Harry and many others courageously brought their experiences directly to City Council members and the media to win protections for all Seattle renters.
Read more about the TU’s Healthy Housing Organizing work and how to get involved at Rental Housing Inspection Program.